Tuesday 14 February 2012

Gmail


          My Gmail e-mail account is one of my newest e-mail addresses. I have had it for just over a year. 
         
          When I started using it, I realized that there were many advertisements around my e-mails that were about subjects that I was interested in. Initially I believed that this was a coincidence but later I realized that the frequency is too high.  A friend of mine brought to my attention that Google screens e-mails and chat conversations rigorously. It was difficult to believe that but I knew it was not impossible. As I thought more about this, I wondered if it would be possible to characterize a person just from looking at the advertisement surrounding their Gmail main page.  

          As I started using my Gmail account more often, I realized that not only were the advertisements related to my e-mail content, they were related to my chat conversations. I felt Gmail was intruding my personal life even though "no human being" was to ever read the content. Under no circumstances did I ever imagine my private and confidential conversations being used to generate revenue. Even though I will "never be identified to the advertisers", I felt Google disrespected me by employing their aggressive advertisement targeting algorithm.
         
          Moreover, Google claims that they will never display advertisements based on sensitive matters. I recall a silly ad that was "served" to me regarding some financial service that dealt with sensitive issues and I am certain this was triggered by my friend and I discussing budgeting. Our conversation was very serious and the content was definitely confidential. At the end of the conversation, it felt as if we were mocked my Google when they "served" me that advertisement.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment